Audio and Video Resources
Audio of Niedecker
In November 1970, Cid Corman made the only known recording of Lorine Niedecker reading her poetry during a visit to her home on Blackhawk Island. The audio from this recording (roughly 16 minutes in length) can be listened to or downloaded at Niedecker’s page on PennSound.
Video of Niedecker
Two very short segments of home video depicting Niedecker are included in the UWDCC material online. Both clips were shot during Millen family gatherings in the holiday seasons of 1964 and 1965 (these films do not include audio and comprise roughly 30 seconds of total footage). This is the only known extant video footage of Niedecker.
Audio & Video about Niedecker
Isthmus Vocal Ensemble performance of 3 Niedecker poems by Jerry Hui:
In 2003, the experimental filmmaker Cathy Cook released Immortal Cupboard, a 74 minute film about Niedecker’s life and work. An excerpt of the film can be viewed below:
In 2009, Wisconsin Public Television produced an episode of “Director’s Cut” in which Cook discussed making Immortal Cupboard. That episode can be viewed below:
Upon her death in 1970, Niedecker’s friend and publisher Cid Corman assumed the responsibility of acting as Niedecker’s literary executor. Following Corman’s death in 2004, the poet and publisher Bob Arnold became Corman’s literary executor, and has acted as Niedecker’s literary executor since that time. Arnold and his wife Susan live in rural Vermont, where they have published books under the Longhouse imprint for more than 45 years. Contact information for the Arnolds is available here.
Web sites with information on Lorine
- Electronic Poetry Center – page on Lorine from SUNY Buffalo including a link to the recording of Lorine reading her poetry.
- Field Guide to the Birds of Lorine Niedecker’s Collected Works by Susan Tichy
- From Smallness to Greatness: The Forgotten Poetry of Lorine Niedecker â€” Anne Loecher – essay from Numéro Cinq from May 2013.
- Longhouse Publishing Niedecker Page – including 3 of Lorine’s watercolor paintings.
- Lorine Niedecker – Dept. of English Language and Literature, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taiwan.
- Louis Zukofsky collection – at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Milwaukee Public Radio Program April 16, 2009 – scroll down to the bottom of the page for the link to the part about Lorine.
- Modern American Poetry – from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana.
- PoemTalk #77 from Jacket2 – Jessica Lowenthal, Michelle Taransky, and Dee Morris joined Al Filreis to talk about two short poems by Lorine Niedecker, “Foreclosure” and “Wilderness.”
- Poetry Foundation – a variety of articles and essays about Lorine as well as some of her poetry.
- Recording of Lorine Reading a Selection of Her Poetry – this is the recording that Cid Corman made of Lorine when he visited in November of 1970. It has been cataloged and provided here by PennSound at the University of Pennsylvania.
- University of WI Digital Collections – the journal “Arts in Society”, which includes scans of the original publication of Niedecker’s review of Cid Corman’s work and some of her poems. To view, click the “Search the Collection” option. At that point, you can search on the name “Niedecker” and limit it to search within the journal “Arts in Society.”
- Wisconsin Literary Map – created by the Wisconsin Council of Teachers of English.
- Wisconsin Public Radio program, March 19, 2009 – an episode of “Here On Earth” with Jean Feraca.
Other sites of interest:
- Cathy Cook’s Blog – Cathy is the filmmaker who produced and directed “Immortal Cupboard: In Search of Lorine Niedecker.”
- Council for Wisconsin Writers, Inc.
- Fort Atkinson Chamber of Commerce
- Hoard Historical Museum – also holds an archive of Niedecker materials.
- Longhouse Publishers & Booksellers has several small books related to Lorine including the “Cooking Book” and “Letter to Mary Hoard.”
- Wisconsin Center for the Book – from the Wisconsin Academy of Science, Arts and Letters.
- Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets
- Your Daily Poem – with an archive!